Friday, February 8, 2008

"hoi nin" on 2nd day of CNY

morning morning, here again with what I had for breakfast. Doing the same old routine like yesterday. This morning i ate sea food noodle to keep my stoamach warm till noon before I start cooking.. you all might laugh when you see what i will be cooking.. I bought mini white promfret fishes from Boulevard the other day and I am going to fry it later. It was RM15 per kilo. Cheap right!!

Today is second day of CNY and its known as "hoi nin" in cantonese means open year. On this day of Chinese New Year it is a visitation to their parents' home of the daughters that are married. Normally and traditionally, most daughters who have been married may not have the opportunity to visit their families so frequently though nowadays it is of a different story.

On this second day or "chor yee", the Chinese will pray to their ancestors as well as to all the gods in their home. It is also believed that "chor yee" is a Happy Birthday of all dogs. They are extra kind to the dogs and won't let them on an empty stomach. They will make sure the dogs are well treated. I do not know how true is it that today is supposed to be a birtday to all dogs but I will just regard it as the truth.. lol. A very " Happy Birthday Crystle" to our dog at home too.

The Cantonese will hold a 'Hoi Nin' prayer in their house to start on the 2nd day of Chinese New Year. Sometimes I wonder if it is said chor yee is a "Hoi Nin" day means open year does it really means today only Chinese New Year really gets started. The prayer is done to pray that they'll be blessed with good luck and prosperity in their home for the year. To me, my "hoi nin" day is simple only. I just spend today like how i usually do on normal days. lol.

0 comments :

Online Visitors

Thank you for dropping by